Monday, July 6, 2009

Hardest week yet

After class on Wednesday I took my dog Chester to the vet for a checkup after being sick for a week, they thought he had kidney stones and we scheduled him for surgery on Tues. July 7th. That night he started having breathing problems and I took him to the Pet urgent care. They took x-rays and found a mass in his trachea- that the vet thought could be cancer, by then Chester was so stressed from trying to breathe that he gave him so sedation, Chester took the decision out of my hands and died shortly afterwards.
My mom died in March and being single my doggies are my kids. Needless to say this has been very traumatic for me and I slipped into some old habits. I should be grateful I only gained 2 pounds this week. I did walk and go to the wellness center twice, I should not have gone to the grocery store and bought some of my old comfort items.
Well, back to being committed. Thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh Gena, your post breaks my heart! I am so sorry about your mother and about Chester. I too, have lost my mother, so I know how that feels. Don't be too hard on yourself...it sound like you are staying positive. We will all have setbacks throughout life. You're doing the right thing by getting back on track. (((Hugs))))

Monica said...

I feel bad reading your post knowing you had a very hard weekend. Don't be hard on yourself for seeking comfort foods because now you have some of the tips to get back on track when you're ready. You have a positive attitude...I think it's great! Stay strong -- you can do it!

Becky said...

Gena - I am sorry for your loss. I have three dogs that are very near and dear to my heart. I had to put one of my labs down a few years ago that had cancer and it was heartbreaking so I can completely relate to you.
Don't beat yourself up about the comfort foods...that is why there is a bandwagon to jump back on.

Michelle said...

Oh no Gena. Wish I had read this earlier. I am so very sorry! Those two loses so close together. How very hard! My heart is sad for your loss!!

Unknown said...

It's interesting to me how many of you have had some pretty hard things come your way since you've started this challenge. What a blessing to have so many supporters encouraging you to keep going. And just remember, you're doing more now (even when you slip up a little) than you were before, and that's big! Gena, keep it up! You are so strong and I admire your dedication to keep going! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog... good for you. You've inspire me and maybe I'll give it a try. Sorry to hear about your doggie Chester, but good for you for pulling yourself up.